Flower Cake for my Mom!

 
Well, I did it.  More buttercream flowers; this time for my Mom's 70th birthday cake.
All of the flowers and leaves were piped from Swiss Meringue Buttercream (SMB).  Both the cake and buttercream were flavoured with lemon, and the sponge was brushed with a lemon syrup for some extra zing and to balance the richness of the buttercream. 
The cake was ok although I probably wouldn't say it was the best I've ever made and I'd probably use a different recipe next time as it didn't scale well to make such a big cake. That said, I was pretty pleased with the overall appearance.  Definitely more practice needed to master SMB though, as I didn't find it that easy to make or work with this time - especially in a warm kitchen!  I've also concluded that I need to buy myself some more piping nozzles and couplers to make things easier and a little less messy!  😄