40th Birthday Cupcakes - Silver and Black




These cupcakes were made for a friend's 40th bithday.   The colour theme was silver and black but as neither are particularly appetising colours and I didn't fancy giving everyone a black tongue, I opted for a simple Victoria Sandwich recipe with a white cream topping, adding the colour with the cake cases and decorations.  I made 60 in total. I struggled a bit to decide on a 'manly theme', as I didn't want to make anything too girly (flowers, butterlies etc.).  In the end, I opted for coloured sprinkles,  '40' plaques and handmade (flower paste) champagne bottles.  Unfortunately, I only had a gel-based black food colour to paint the bottles with and by the end of the evening, they'd started to run.  :o(
Lesson learned: powder colours next time.