Cake Pops - Experimenting with a trial run!



These piggy pops were made using Silver Spoon Strawberry Buttons and were really hard work because the 'chocolate' topping didn't cover the cake pops very well (too thick) and then took several hours to set - in fact, after 3 hours, there was still no sign of them setting.  :o(  The topping is also very sweet, and truthfully, quite sickly. I didn't want to use the candy melts they use in the US, as these seem very unnatural but they would have probably given much better coverage - not sure about the taste though, as I've never tried them.  Also, the cake pops I made were whole round mini cakes (not shaped from cake crumb and buttercream). I think this added to the difficulty of covering them as they weren't perfectly smooth.



The bumble bee was covered using the Silver Spoon Orange Buttons.  Again, coverage was difficult but the orange buttons were somewhat easier to use than the strawberry ones, as they weren't as thick once melted.  The bee was made from the same batch of cake pop bases I used for the pigs, so I'd work on creating a smoother base cake to do these again.  Overall effect is quite good though.  The stripes were put on using black icing.  I wasn't eating these, so would look for a tastier alternative if I was making them for consumption!



 
I'd had enough by the time I was making the fish (as you can probably tell)! I'd waited 90 minutes for the Orange Button fins and tail to set, so I could decorate the fish and tidy the kitchen but got fed up of waiting in the end and codged it all together, just long enough to take the photo.  It's very rough    but you get the idea.  You certianly need a lot of patience to make these and there's a lot of hanging around, waiting for the covering to set. If you're patient enough though, I think you could get some great results. I was way too impatient and was trying to decorate them while they were still wet (well, it had been hours!). For now, this was just an experimental run. Watch this space for future efforts as I'll certainly be trying to improve on these!